Three (3) BLIRTy readers offered very welcome constructive criticism, which I'm always open to...do not fear (of course, I may call you out for it if I don't like it, but that's just the chance you'll have to take!! I very much love to start fights). But here's what I got:
"your dress is fine and you look cute. but it's not terrible corporate looking, which could be reason. or maybe she objected to the white jacket. paired with the dress, it's a little schlubby vs. chic. (sorry if that's blunt)"
Yes, definitely not corporate looking - especially with the Ponytail Patti look that I try to avoid at work unless the weather is horrible or I'm just lazy. But it was Monday and I was tired and it was going to be a hot day and I didn't have any major meetings. The dress does look much cuter without the jacket (SHOW MY NEW GUNS!), so I'll see if there's a cute sweater that I can pair it with for the cold train/office...
"Button the shirt and tie the belt outside? Lose the belt? Lose shirt? Lose belt and shirt? How about a big colorful necklace? Just options...but overall great work outfit. I think she was just being picky...you look GREAT! We should fearlessly wear skirts and flaunt that that is ONE thing that men may try but we will ALWAYS do better :)"
Love the empowerment statement - YEAH! Girl Power!
Now, the next GUY first said he was fine with everything...but...do we think he has some issues?
"Except the flip flops. Personally, not a fan. I understand, the commute and all. But not only do they make that sound, they also are supposed to be bad for your feet/arches. There is a difference between hi-end flip-flops and shower shoes, but not much."
When I asked him about an alternative to the flip flop, I got a huge RANT back about all things fashion. Please note that I refuse to take any heat for this GUY's opinion, but I absolutely had to share because there are all kinds of issues in these thoughts/feelings!!!! Tell me if you don't pee your pants while reading this crap!
"Re: flip flops: I have no answer, and no fashion sense, so I can’t help you.The fashion rules I live by:
-- Pleated pants suck. They make men look like schlubs and women look like moms. Pleated shorts are equally as bad.
-- Sweat pants/yoga pants/stretch pants, whatever: they are for the gym, only. They probably shouldn’t even be worn en route to the gym. They definitely don’t belong in the supermarket, esp not on the large lady getting the gallon of ice cream and party-sized bag of chips.
-- Shoes and belt should match, which is why I only own black leather shoes and black leather belts. Braided belts are bad. Belts should be worn every day and pants should not ride below a person’s ass. A shoeshine costs $3 and is worth every penny. Tip generously.
-- On a straight man, unless you are a cowboy, Levi’s are the only brand of jeans you need to know. If you are a cowboy, you can also wear Wranglers.
-- Jewelry is for women. Men wear a watch, maybe a wedding ring. Not earrings, not necklaces, not bracelets, and not pinky rings. Though I think the pinky ring could be ironic, like the ‘hipster mustache.’ Women can wear whatever jewelry they want, but piercings shouldn’t set off the metal detector.
-- Solid colors are less likely to clash. Also, clothes should be relatively free of logos/brands/funny messages. One or two excellent t-shirts are a fine exception.
-- When in doubt, just wear black.
-- For black-tie events, a black suit with a white shirt and a black (non-bow) tie is fine. Unless coerced by a very good friend or family member for a wedding or securing a super-cool costume for Halloween, there’s never a reason to wear rented clothes."
I would like to suggest Lucky Brand jeans for dudes as a better option...they make the tushy look nice!
Fast forward...I typed the above on Wednesday before heading to my first Yoga class that was amazing but may be my last. Anyway, I believe I just SPIT in that BLIRTy reader's face after Yoga tonight. Not on purpose to be mean, but it just happened...on an accident.
I was a NASTY, SWEATY PIG after almost 2 hours of Yoga, but instead of changing afterwards, my 2 friends and I stayed in our SOAKING WET yoga pants and wife beater tank tops and actually walked down the street to Cafe Socialista (? is that the name?) on 16th Street. Yep...sat on their nice furniture, had a nice dinner and a nice couple of glasses of wine. AND, to top it off, I also wore my flip flops!!!!!
I'm not sure if I'm proud of myself for that, or if I feel a little horrified that I went against everything in his lecture. Hmmm...
Okay, you'll have to hear from me one more day this week...I couldn't help myself. Talk to you tomorrow!
BLIRTy girl signing off...
No comments:
Post a Comment