Sunday, January 11, 2009

THE BLIRT & I Took My Drawers Off!

Oh, what a funny weekend!

Knowing I was going to take my pants off on the subway Saturday, I woke up early to make sure I had time to 1) go to the gym for as long as I could stand it, and 2) had time to shave my legs.

Special thanks to crazy girl, Miriam (black knit hat next to me), for inviting me to take my pants off with her, and for recruiting a few more peeps about an hour before the stunt. Here's a pic of my group before depants'ing. Thank goodness that Big Boy (blue jacket) is so frickin' tall - it made it easy to follow him around all afternoon.



LOGISTICS
We started in Foley Square...outside of City Hall in Manhattan. There were an estimated 1,200 - 1,500 participants in NYC, with 24 other cities participating this year! So if I ever move, I'll have to make sure I move to a city where I can take my pants off in public at least once a year (luckily, LA was one of the cities).


I'm not sure how many subway lines we dispersed to (uh...I quit paying attention to the leader 'cause I just wanted to take my pants off already), but I was on the 1 train in the 8th car. We went from Chambers Street and then transferred to another line at Times Square.


We were split up, and different people took their pants off at different stops, then exited the subway at different stops and then we all got on the next train...pantsless. So people in the cars were freaking out when they saw someone take their pants off, then in the next train, people were all jammed up when more and more people got onto the train (diff stops) without pants.

Here's my group at the 4th stop on the line - waiting for the next train.

Got onto the next train, and whipped out my NY Post and did the sudoku puzzle for the entire ride. YES, I was sitting down, but I scooted my booty up so my skin didn't actually touch the seats...well, mostly. I should probably make an appointment with an Infectious Diseases doctor to get checked out soon.

Overall, it seemed like NY'ers were laughing, and tourists were confused and a bit afraid. Everyone kept a straight face, and no one gave a straight answer as to why we were on the subway in our undies. My friend, Miriam (green undies), was asked the most for some reason. She must look friendly. She said she bought her pants at Wal-Mart and they were so uncomfortable she didn't want to wear them.

She also convinced the mariachi band guy (photo below) on the car to take his pants off, and on top of everything, grabbed the microphone from the musician in the subway and sang a song made up on the fly about not wearing pants.


Miriam and Mariachi Guy


Miriam singing with the "talent" at Union Square

We were all upset that we couldn't get the guy to take his pants off, but Mirm was happy he let her sing a little ditty.

On that note, I'll leave you with Miriam's performance and I'll be off with my naked self...


1 comment:

  1. Ok - so I finally watched the performance in the subway. Nice how all the guy has to say after that song is "I like those boots". Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete